Experience Outback Life
What They’re Saying
“Their generous hospitality and fabulous home-cooked meals were loved by all: The beautiful homestead, original buildings and superb natural surroundings were a peaceful backdrop for our Year 8 Camp, and the variety of activities on offer had our girls engaged throughout...We would thoroughly recommend Wambiana Station to those looking for an authentic farm experience”Year 8 teacher
For school students, an Outback Stay at Wambiana Station offers a unique and exciting opportunity to participate in a range of activities and learn about living and working on a family-run cattle station “in the bush”.
Some of the activities on offer include:
- Participation in cattle husbandry practices at the cattle yards (including dipping, branding, castrating and pregnancy testing)
- Feeding and interaction with a variety of farm animals
- Milking a cow (and drinking the fresh milk)
- Whip cracking demonstrations and coaching
- Hay ride and wildlife spotting
- Divining of water and precious metals
- Tour of historical buildings
- Outdoor team challenges beside a scenic lagoon
- Billy tea and evening campfire
The family also provide educational talks covering:
- The history of Wambiana Station
- An overview of the daily operations of the property
- Schooling through Distance Education and
- Accessing medical assistance through the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
University and Tertiary Groups
For tertiary students, Wambiana Station is the perfect location to conduct field studies in a range of biological and environmental subject areas. The range of vegetation types, landscapes and associated fauna and flora creates a rich, biodiverse environment in which to study. There are opportunities to meet senior scientists and visit a long-term grazing trial, which has been operating at Wambiana since 1998. Students may also learn about biodiversity at Wambiana through engagement with James Cook University staff and/or students who have been conducting research at Wambiana since 2012.
We will work with lecturers to develop a program that is highly educational and enjoyable for all students. There is also the opportunity to participate in many of the farmstay activities offered to School Groups.
Tour Groups and Special Interest Groups
For Tour Groups and Special Interest Groups, Wambiana offers a unique location in which to gain an insight into the nuances of running a commercial cattle station, over 57,000 acres, in Northern Queensland. Groups that have an interest in nature, grazing, biodiversity, sustainable agriculture, animal production, and related fields will find plenty to see, experience and learn at Wambiana.
The conference room in “The Lodge” allows us to host training workshops, forums, or other team activities in a unique “bush” environment, away from the confines of an urban environment. Country hospitality dictates that meals will be provided….of course!